Friday, November 15, 2013

Sony A7 and A7R test

As I mentioned in my post last months or maybe two, I stated that mirrorless camera are getting more and more mature. Beside Olympus, Sony is one of the camera maker that push alot creative and style on their mirrorless camera. One of their recent mirrorless will be the A7 and A7R, world first full frame sensor mirrorless camera. I am lucky to be finally given a chance to hands on on both camera yesterday at YL camera.

Here are the specification of both cameras :


Sony A7 Key Specification :


  • 24 megapixels
  • Full frame (35.8 x 23.9 mm) CMOS
  • Bionz X image processing
  • ISO 100-25600
  • 117 Number of focus points
  • 3" tilting LCD with 1,230,000 screen dots
  • 1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 24p), 1440 x 1080 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p) video recording
  • Built-In WiFi and NFC
  • NP-FW50 lithium-ion battery
  • 127 x 94 x 48 mm
  • 474 g



Sony A7R Key Specification :

  • 36 megapixels
  • Full frame (35.8 x 23.9 mm) CMOS
  • Bionz X image processing
  • ISO 100-25600
  • 25 Number of focus points
  • 3" tilting LCD with 1,230,000 screen dots
  • 1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 24p), 1440 x 1080 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p) video recording
  • Built-In WiFi and NFC
  • NP-FW50 lithium-ion battery
  • 127 x 94 x 48 mm
  • 465 g


What are the difference between this two model? The differences are internal - sporting a 36 megapixel sensor, the A7R has no optical low-pass filter and is limited to contrast-detect autofocus, while the less expensive A7 has a 24 megapixel sensor with a low-pass filter and on-chip phase detection.

Both bodies are designed around the Sony NEX E-mount, though new 'FE' lenses are needed to take advantage of the larger sensor. They also feature a new BIONZ X processor, XGA OLED 'Tru-finder', 3-inch LCD, Wi-Fi connectivity with NFC, and 60p video recording. Existing lenses for Sony's NEX range of APS-C mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras will mount and work as expected, though the scene will be cropped (though Sony gives you the option not to do so if you can live with some inevitable vignetting). Sony Alpha lenses can also be mounted via either the LA-EA3 or LA-EA4, the latter of which includes SLT autofocus technology.

So yea I am given chance to hands on both camera with Sony A7 equipped with ZEISS 55mm f1.8 and also A7R mounted with Sony 35mm f2.8. I only test high ISO and also sharpness in yesterday testing. Don't boohoo me. I seriously don't feel comfortable testing a camera with so many eye looking at me and waiting their turn to tested the camera due to only one unit available for each. I prefer tested it with free and easy. Hopefully if I am given a review set from Sony :P

Here some quick shot I did on Sony A7 on wide open f1.8 with NR off

ISO 200
ISO 200 100% Crop
ISO 500
ISO 500 100% Crop
ISO 6400
ISO 6400 100% Crop

and here are from A7R on wide open f2.8 with NR off

ISO 800
ISO 800 100% Crop
ISO 12800
ISO 12800 100% Crop

Personally, I prefer A7R more due to higher megapixel for megahypersupergreatcropping purposes and also lack of AA filter present. Too bad it doesn't have phase detection. And the EVF abit dull. Maybe, maybe I am pampered by Olympus VF-4 and the EVF on their OM-D E-M1. I have no complain on focus speed in A7R however when use A7, the focus seem slow. Not sure is the lens (ZEISS 55mm f1.8) problem or not. I expect it to focus faster due to phase detection. In my eye too, the color noise on Sony A7R is much cleaner than A7.

Overall, huge sensor with small body. Is this what people are seeking for now? For me is a yes but too bad. As much as I like full frame sensor in both A7/A7R, there are still some factors doesn't seem to convince me. It will be the body ergonomic which the grip is not comfortable to hold at all. Secondly will be unfriendly button placement and the way to trigger flexible focus spot. Thirdly will be the price. Yes A7 is cheap with RRP RM4999 body only (Same price with OM-D E-M1 body), but what about lens? I doubt ZEISS lens are cheap. I doubt full frame lens will be small as well.

Above opinion are based on personal. For me, micro four third is still a YES for me. Small body, small lens, less weight, satisfactory performance. In addition, what's more important than enjoying shooting with what I had on my hand currently :) Oh GOD..I might be bias LOL

0 comments: