Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V Specification and Quick Review

Sometimes, we just hate it when we need a zoom lens. It is not easy to carry around zoom lens especially for travel or long terms because of the size and weight. Recently, Sony just launch the brand new Cyber-shot series, DSC-HX50V, the World’s Smallest and Lightest 30x optical zoom compact camera! This camera is a perfect solution for people who need zoom in lightweight and also portable.


I am lucky to be able to review this little gem and I wasn't hesitated at all to bring it to my HK trip for the whole week. I admit I do enjoy bringing it along everywhere and shoot none stop with it during my travel duration and leaving my Olympus E-P3 at hotel room most of the time. Alright I am not going into deep revie wof the camera yet. I am sparking some curiosity at you all, so stay tune my Hong Kong posts, pics and videos ;)


Here quick specification of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V


  • 20.4 megapixels
  • 1/2.3" (6.17 x 4.55 mm) BSI-CMOS Sensor
  • BIONZ imaging processor
  • ISO 100 - 3200 (6400, 12800 with boost)
  • 24–720 mm with f 3.5-6.3
  • 3-axis SuperSteady Shot image stabilization
  • 3″ Fixed 921,000 dots XtraFine LCD Screen
  • 1920 x 1080 (60fps), 1440 x 1080 (30fps), 1280 x 720 (30fps), 640 x 480 (30fps) video recording
  • Built-In Wi-Fi and GPS
  • Lithium-Ion NP-BX1 battery
  • 272 g
  • 108 x 64 x 38 mm


On first glance, I wasn't so convincing at the sensor size. It is small, not even 1/1.7" that high end compact camera should have. However after playing with it, I am convince with it capability. The BIONZ image processing in the camera is simply amazing. 20 Megapixel might sound big but it is alright for me with average file size per photo on full resolution around 6.5MB. My another favourite features in the camera is the 3-axis SuperSteady Shot image stabilization where promises reduce shaking during hand held. It is pretty good for handheld video shooting as well.


The lens of course is amazing too. It provide wide angle lens which is 24mm and super zoom at 720mm. Of course, the lens will extend quit long when set to 720mm but it won't add any weight at all. There are also 60x Clear Image Zoom when the 30x zoom wasn't enough for you. The 60x Clear Image Zoom function effectively digitally doubles the zoom range, using Sony's new Pixel Super Resolution Technology to increase the magnification. In other words, it is sorta digital zoom. Here some comparison images for you to see how wide is 24mm, 720mm and also the 60x Clear Image Zoom aka 1440mm.




The camera itself of course come with P,S,AM mode for allowed photographer to tune in the camera setting. It is suck being me because in order for me to use P,S,A,M mode, the camera itself first must come with easy access button. As a compact camera, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V still suffer since portability is what's make compact camera selling point. Don't get me wrong, it is still a very good camera and easy to set when use P,S,A,M mode. It just can't be as easy as DSLR or Mirrorless camera where all hardware button are there for you to click. I enjoy shooting using Auto mode all the time and I am very pleased with the result.


Another plus point of HX50V is the standard hot-shoe or known as Multi Interface Shoe. It allow users to mount a range of proprietary Sony accessories such as a more powerful flash, an electronic viewfinder (FDA-EV1MK), and even an optical viewfinder (FDA-V1K). Obviously, I haven't give it a try to mount on my external flash as it gonna make the camera huge and heavier during my travel.


Lastly, the built in Wi-Fi is one of the reason I love this camera. Just download an app called Sony’s PlayMemories™ Mobile in both Android or iOS, to wirelessly transfer photos and videos to a connected smartphone or tablet. The application also allows a connected device to be used as a handy wireless remote to control the camera – ideal for self-portraits and group shots where the photographer wants to be included.


That's all my quick review of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V. I will go in more depth review as soon as possible as in I just came back from my holiday and I had no time to arrange my stuff. Messy you could say.


Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V is now available in Malaysia with priced RM 1,499.

Stay tune in my blog for my more depth review of Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50V.

2 comments:

Henry Lee said...

ok la can sell ur olympus ady xD

Jackie said...

@henry Sell my olympus and go full frame! XD