Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Macro : Butterfly Park


Being a guy who hold a camera and indulged into an art called photography for almost 5 years, the only thing's I haven't try is Macro. I am not into Macro but wouldn't hurt to learn and explore. Fortunately, Carmen invited me for a shooting at Butterfly Park accompanied by few friends. One of them is Robin Wong! Without hesitating I agreed because OMG! this gonna be my first time met Robin Wong! Check out his blog if you dunno who is him ;)



Upon arrival, very quickly I recognize most of her and Robin friends are from Olympus Malaysia. CK, Desmond and Shawn if I remember their name correctly (sorry I have poor memory when come to people name...). All of them is either using Olympus E-PL5 or E-P5. Well for Robin, he is using the brand new Olympus OM-D E-M1. I supposed I can reveal this now since it is 10th Sept today and Olympus is announcing the E-M1 by today! I managed to hands on a while and equipped my favourite Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II lens to test the capability of new phase detection AF sensor. It is proven that it works and quick! Though it won't be as quick as mounting native M43 lens, but still it is as quick as a DSLR! Congratulation Olympus! You had made all Four Third user happy :D




We are suppose to shoot macro in Butterfly Park and guess what, I don't have one. Everyone who presented that day either using Olympus 60mm f2.8 or Olympus 50mm f2. Since my Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II gonna be macroless compare with them, I just shoot whatever I can and have. Can't go close up, then I'll just play with composition which hopefully it looks attractive.

Brought along my Macro ring flash but I use my flash light more than the ring flash itself. Guess I still need practise more.



I managed to used my Tamron 90mm f2.5 for once during the shooting. Most of the time it is with my gf possession if you're asking. The lens is pretty heavy and since it is old manual lens, hence no auto focus. It might be nice to used together with camera with bigger grip and of course, with peek focusing will make the job easier. Unfortunately my Olympus E-P3 doesn't have any of that... I want OM-D E-M1 :(

* Shot by Tamron 90mm f2.5 *

Shawn is very kind to borrow me his Olympus 50mm F2 lens together with 2X teleconverter to try. I love the lens. But not when mount it together with the 2X teleconverter. It is too much to handle. Unfortunately the auto focus is pretty slow and not accurate with my E-P3. Hence, I am using manual focus all the way. Well to be frank, I am using manual focus even on my Olympus 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 II in this shooting session. I wonder how many eye cell had been murdered.

* Shot by Olympus 50mm f2 *
* Shot by Olympus 50mm f2 *

Very nice experience and I managed to learn few tips on macro shooting from Robin. The next thing I probably need to do it to have better observation and composition when I am given chance to do macro again in future. Of course, I can't wait to join Robin for street shooting. Would love to learn from him. Thanks for Carmen for inviting again. It was a very fruitful experience.

0 comments: