Sunday, March 09, 2014

Revisit Macro : Butterfly Park

P3092182

P3092215

This will be my third time doing insect macro shoot in life. Here was my first and second time. Looking back my previous post, I think my shooting style look completely difference. The background is much darker.. Not sure it is because I don't bounce my light LOL My first macro attempt wasn't a proper one since I am using Olympus EP3 with 14-54mm f2.8-3.5 whule the second was with Sony NEX-5T with 35mm f3.5 lens. This time around, I am back with my Olympus OM-D E-M1 and also 60mm f2.8 lens! Thanks Robin for lending me the lens!

P3092183

P3092204

P3092207

P3092310

Honestly I guess I still don't like macro. I don't hate it but I don't like it either. It killed my eye completely since I need to squeeze my eye during focusing. Note that I am using manual focus all the time especially on small insect. Don't ask me why not auto focus. I always think it is not reliable and hard to focus what I want. In the same time, I think Olympus 5 AXIS stabilization is beautifully work when shooting macro. The half press shutter to stabilize the shot helped me alot. Of course, in the end still depend on myself to stabilize myself. Don't you know we human tend to swing even when we stand straight? Gravity bro!

P3092228

P3092266

P3092285

P3092302

P3092313

So yea today I am finally shoot with proper macro lens. In fact it was my first time handle Olympus 60mm f2.8. I think it was a very sweet and capable macro lens. Plus the I just got myself a weather sealed combination when mount on my E-M1. The manual focusing was very straight forward too. Just push to focus ring to the distance you desire (in this case it was the magnifying scale) and then just start adjust yourself front and back to focus. Of course, I am doing it with one handed most of the time since another hand was occupied with flashgun. Guess my only regret today was I don't have a huge bounce card when everyone has! Hmmmmp!


Overall I am happy with my shot today. It is not perfect but I did a small step into macro world. More stuff for me to learn! Meanwhile, I am attracted by Olympus MCON-P02 adapter now. I think it is sweet to have it to mount on my 45mm and I can has a little more close up shot with it :D In the same time, start saving for Olympus 7-14mm f2.8 next year! Wide angle here I come!!

0 comments: