Sunday, August 23, 2015

Fun with Olympus M.Zuiko 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO Lens

P8210056

If you ask me to pick between fisheye and wide angle lens, I will always got for wide angle lens anytime. But I do aware the fisheye do have it own place and unique. Feeling to challenge myself, I loaned an unit from Olympus and intended to use the one and only lens I had at birthday dinner with my colleagues.



P8210063

P8210081

A little brief introduction of the fisheye lens (note that this is not a review of the lens!)
1) It is world first F1.8 fish eye lens.
2) fully weather sealed : splashproof, dustproof and freezeproof.
3) 2.5cm closest focusing distance (from the front of lens element) for super close up shooting
4) Full 180 degrees field of view fisheye lens

P8210084

Honestly it was a fun lens to use on the dinner night and most my colleagues love it. 180 degrees field of view make wefie with the group easier too where I abit skeptical at first that do I able to fit everyone in with my short hand? Well it proven I can! Even have extra space on left and right but of course the person on the edge will get huge distortion (which is me most of the time). Unfortunately I didn't do any really close up photo on that night.

P8210104

P8210117

P8210126

P8210181

While it is in PRO lens category, the lens wasn't that big and heavy. The size and weight just right to fit into micro four third body. I did not hesitate at all just to use it and point it to whoever my colleagues is on that night. The only disappointment would be the AF Speed. The auto focus speed wasn't the usually m.zuiko lens performance. I admit that I was not used to the focus hunting and slow focus.

P8210149

P8210168

P8210175

P8210218

Overall, a very fun lens to use among my colleagues. Of course, it can be used for a creative work as well due to the lower f number (depth of field!) and also the ability to focus as near as 2.5cm. Everything is possible in fish eye lens! Hopefully I able to loan it again in my coming soon Taiwan trip :D

3 comments:

Ananda Sim said...

I only have the Samyang fish. Even at f/4 that is not much need to focus. What focus method did you have on? Single point? I have not tried this new lens but I would try all focus points on.

Jackie said...

@ananda ops sorry just saw your comment. Yea I am using single focus point. The lens focus hunt abit when using on low light. It is noticeable coming from user who use alot Olympus prime lens.

Ananda Sim said...

My experience with 7-14 (DSLR Four Thirds) and fish is that the DOF is very large and the scene is very wide. This means single point AF does not know what it is looking at. Use Cluster AF points or All AF points. It is not the lens or the camera it is what technique we use for this - it is different from 25mm or 45mm.