Friday, May 23, 2014

Samsung NX Mini - Interchangeable lenses for my ever changing mood

P5234020

I am back with another short and quick review on Samsung NX Mini. I am in middle of collecting photos for full review and it will take a while more since I am pretty busy with my stuffs. Of course, you can always feel free to come and ask me any question regarding the camera. I'll help as much as I can! Nevertheless, today this post will be regarding the interchangeable lenses capability in Samsung NX Mini.

P5234022

As I mentioned earlier, Samsung NX Mini is an interchangeable lens camera that packed in a very small body sized. At the moment, Samsung launched three lenses for NX Mini mount which is 9mm f3.5, 9-27mm f3.5-5.6 ED OIS and also coming soon 17mm F1.8 OIS (45.9mm equivalent) prime. In case you're new to camera, lenses play important role in photo capturing. Difference lenses provide difference perspective and also story telling that you're trying to showcase to people.

P5234024

Regretfully I did not possess 9-27mm f3.5-5.6 and 17mm f1.8 but I am currently happy with 9mm f3.5 lens. It is one of the smaller pancake lens I ever seen and thanks to the NX Mini size, both combination make this camera easy carry. It wouldn't take much space in ladies bag or even my own jeans pocket. I am very please with the 9mm lenses as it serve me well as wide angle lens for landscape and also close up lens for food shooting. Not so much on street since if I am shooting human I would need to walk very very near for my usual composition. Check out my past post for pics taken with NX Mini (those with NX Mini watermark).

SAM_0215

SAM_0531

SAM_0607

SAM_0513

SAM_0349

SAM_0047

SAM_0083

The only complain I have on 9mm f3.5 was lacked of front cap to protect the lens. But I believe I can DIY it for my owned :P Afterall there is something call photography hack.



Meanwhile, the kit lens 9-27mm f3.5-5.6 served difference purposes than the 9mm f3.5. Yes it has 9mm focal length, but it can zoom! Making the lens more versatile than the prime in exchange to have bigger physical size. It would be perfect for selfie lower (9mm! It is wide angle!) and also those who feel like zoom to reach the subject they wanna shot (just in case it can't be reache dby walking). Personally, kit lens is a must to have for people who just started to learn photography. You'll learn how focal length affected your photos.

Personally, I'll pick up 9mm f3.5 and also the coming soon 17mm F1.8 OIS lenses anytime since I am more to prime lens shooter. 17mm F1.8 will be perfect lens to use on low light due to faster aperture,f and of course, it can generate bokeh on wide open! I wouldn't hesitate to use 17mm on event, concert and even street photography as it is a perfect focal length for me! Hopefully I able to get a copy of that lens from Samsung to review :)


Samsung also provided a NX-M adapter for existing Samsung NX user. With that adapter, user can easily mount their existing NX lens on the NX Mini.

Overall, there are alot huge potential on the Samsung NX Mini thanks to the interchangeable lens capability and I hope Samsung will continue keep the lens size small as I believe it is one of the strongest selling point.

0 comments: